Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The New Wild

Freakish Blues

I heard The New Wild (TNW) a few months ago with literally nothing in way of having any expectation for their sound, even what genre they were. I went in completely blind. Since listening to them the first time I have noticed they have classified themselves as “Freakish Blues” which I think is beautiful and fitting.
            When I flicked on their EP I was delighted to hear slurry, sloppy, frothy blues come out of the speakers right away. No build up. No warning strums to get me ready for the blues that were to come. I have only recently gotten into down and dirty blues like George Thorogood (most of his tracks being about whiskey has nothing to do with it, okay!) and Joe Bonamassa and I’ve been looking for a new band to get into and actively listen to so I can satisfy the bluesy hole I had. It looks like turning on TNW’s EP was a wonderful choice.
            With their grungy, growly vocals and rough, bluesy guitar they’re the perfect answer to a musical question. “Is there a place for blues, true blues, in a world where blues music is tragically become more and more scarce?” Well, obviously the answer is yes. Although the EP is a short one and in that way leaves the listener feeling a little unsatisfied, the tracks are so musically, well, interesting that even with just four tracks it at times feels like a full album. They do not leave any stone unturned. They don’t leave any leaf untouched. The shortness of their EP is easily made up by its efficiency to tell the tale they came to tell.
            TNW, with an odd twist, add different genres and sounds to their tracks throughout the EP. With little warning, their sound and overall genre shifts so fast that you they have already shifted back to their default sound before you’ve even noticed what’s happened.
            The first song on the album, Dallas is a perfect example of this. At first I was a little confused about the track. I didn’t really find where it fit with their overlying sound. It sounded an awkward pick for the vibe I was getting from them in the previous track. But then I realized that I was looking in all the wrong places. I was searching for a cookie cutter. Their previous song had established something for me that TNW had no plan of establishing. Then, to both mess with me and explore their musical boundaries, the sound started to change.
            With the inclusion of a garage-rock type sound in Dallas, though I now understood where the motivation stemmed from, I was still foggy on the influence. Until I did some extensive research and read their bio and noticed the first band on their influences list; The White Stripes. This little bud of knowledge served me well in two ways: 1. I was finally unburdened with having to figure out where this seemingly new/random style was stemming from and more importantly where it was going and 2. The EP actually started talking to me as an album and not just a random compilation of songs and sounds that were haphazardly thrown onto a disc.
            Also on said influences list are The Black Keys and Flat Duo Jets which are so wonderfully prominent on the EP that I dare a listener not to see their finger prints all over it.
            My favourite track on the EP is Wail. Not just due to the radio friendly sound and the light story about music, sex and love but because that wasn’t the only interesting and thought provoking thing that caught my attention on this track. As soon as the song started when I heard it for the first time I was all ready to start blasting it on having poor balancing. The guitar was way, WAY louder than everything else. I’m glad I continued to listen instead of making a silly first glance judgement because it only took a minute to figure out why. Although a pretty simple track, technically speaking, its simple qualities are easily forgotten once that loud, bluesy, rough, gooey guitar shows its face in-between each chapter of the story. The guitar work in-between these chapters I can only really describe as “cool”. Another great surprise on the EP.
            Finally, Play it By Fear is by far the most complex track on the EP. Starting off with loud, overdriven guitar feedback flowing into a guitar riff that I can only describe as Hendrix-y, the styles that are explored on this song are as numerous as they are difficult to seamlessly flow into one another. Let’s go through a few of the styles that I found on this track. The song starts with overdriven rock guitar into a Hendrix-y acid rock riff, then as the verse cuts in, all distortion disappears and it sounds like Nirvana is doing a guest session with TNW then to break up the verses it slips into a heavy rock kind of sound (although it could be argued that that Nirvana was still visiting as it does remind me quite a bit of the chorus of Smells Like Teen Spirit). I think I may be able to safely say that I have never heard these genres come head to head in one three-minute song. And the complexity and sheer craftsmanship of the songs seem to naturally come secondary to something that is ever-present throughout the EP… It is just so cool.
            The New Wild is a great, unconventional “freakish blues” band that going in I had absolutely zero expectations. All I have to say is that they surprised the shit out of me and I’m glad they did. I have added them to my normal playlist on my iPod and I highly suggest you do too.
The New Wild Stuff:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thenewwild?ref=br_tf

Bandcamp: http://thenewwild.bandcamp.com/

- Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment