Sunday, August 24, 2014

Dave Hause

Pop Punk/Rock -

The first song I stumbled upon by Dave Hause was the acoustic version of his own song, We Could Be Kings. I can’t remember how I stumbled across it but it was a video of Dave on a couch singing his heart out.

Even at first glance I knew I’d love this artist. At the time I hadn’t heard of The Loved Ones (Dave Hause’s original band before he went solo) so Dave was a completely new concept to me. A concept I quickly came to love.

I listened to We Could Be Kings acoustic on repeat for days, so wrapped up in the artistry and subtle nuances and vocal inflections Dave threw into that two or three minutes that I didn’t even bother to look at his other stuff or to even look into where this tattooed songbird came from. First, I found his album Devour and, as the name suggests, I consumed it. This album being the album that the original (non-acoustic) We Could Be Kings came off of.

Next was my journey to The Loved Ones which, after listening to his acoustic cover and Devour, I couldn’t wait for more.

Although The Loved Ones is a little bit more classic punk, Dave’s presence of voice and also his presence of mind are very evident on the tracks. He has an instinct ingrained into him that allows him to understand not only what makes a good song, but why it does as well. He evokes feelings seemingly effortlessly while at the same time making it obvious that he doesn’t have a non-musical bone in his body. He tries without making it look like he’s trying too hard.

Dave is a master of multitasking. Combining brilliant song writing with relevant chord progressions and off beat lyrics, which all come together like a gift to the ears and the spirit.

His ability to leave himself out on the table, making his work available to criticism is astonishing, bold and downright cool.

Dave Hause is one of punk’s best kept secrets and though he deserves praise, he makes it clear that he doesn’t seek it.

Listen to Dave Hause.

Songs to listen to: We Could Be Kings, Autism Vaccine Blues, Father’s Son.

The Loved Ones: Pretty Good Year, The Bridge, Player Hater Anthem.

- Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment